Positive Approach to the Care of the Older Person with Dementia
The Positive Approach to Care of the Older Person with Dementia is a 12-week course aimed at Health Care Professionals. This course is suitable for staff working in all settings including acute care, residential aged care and community and aligns with the following National Safety and Quality Health Service Standards
- Standard 5: Comprehensive Care
- Standard 6: Communicating for Safety
- Standard 8: Recognising and Responding to Acute Deterioration
This course is endorsed by the RCNA and the Australian College of Mental Health Nurses and attracts 30 CNE points. Social workers will gain Appellation points. 30 CPD points.
Please Note: Our courses are unique in that they are fully facilitated by dementia champions, meaning you will have access to your facilitator for the duration of the course.
Please click the “Register to participate in this course” button located at the bottom of this page.
Once this is received you will be placed on our waiting list. When a spot is available you will be made an offer to participate, if you accept this offer then further information on the enrolment process will be sent to you.
The purpose of this online learning course is to train clinical staff to develop and improve the level of care being provided to the older person with dementia. The program encourages a participant to apply knowledge in the workplace to ensure better outcomes for all those in their care. This is a key initiative under NSW Dementia Services Framework 2010-2015.
The aim of this online training is to increase your knowledge and understanding of:
- The need for a Person-Centred Approach
- Dementia and delirium
- Why dementia is emerging as a critical issue for acute care staff
- Well-being and ill-being indicators for people with dementia
- The concept and application of a Person-Centred Approach
- Understanding the behavioural responses of people with dementia
- The importance of involving the family/significant other in the acute care setting for the person with dementia
- The importance of multi-disciplinary team work in caring for the person with dementia.
- Passion to improve patient/client/resident outcomes
- Access to a computer and an email account
- Access to Internet – a minimum of 2-3 hours per week
- 12 week commitment
Online chats occur five times in the 12 weeks (Weeks 1, 3, 6, 9 and 12) to discuss current issues, network and share information and resources. You will be supported through the eLearning process by a facilitator who is a local dementia champion.
The course is broken up into 12 weeks:
Week 1: Navigating the Course
Week 2: General Introduction/Making Positive Change Happen
- Let’s Get Started
- Experiencing Dementia
Week 3: Why use a Person-Centred Approach?
- Why use a Person-Centred approach?
Week 4 – Implementing a Person-Centred Approach
- Working in a Person Centred Way
- Person Centred Care Assessment Tool
Week 5 – Understanding How Dementia is Diagnosed
- The Biomedical Perspective of Dementia
- An interactive tour of the brain
Week 6 – Making Positive Change Happen – Managing Dementia and Delirium in the Acute Care Setting
- Delirium vs Dementia
- Cognitive Assessment and Screening
Week 7 – Understanding and Managing Pain
- Assessing and Caring for People Living with Dementia and Pain
- Assessing and Responding to Pain
Week 8 – Restraint, Mobility and Falls
- Falls and the Older Person
Week 9 – Nutrition and the Effect of Fluid Balance
- Fluid Balance in the Older Adult
Week 10 – Helping people with dementia cope with the challenges of swallowing, incontinence and bowel problems
- Bowel Dysfunction
- Skin Integrity
- Sleep Disorders
- Visual Dysfunction
- Driving and Dementia
Week 11 – Discharge Planning and End of Life Planning
- Acute Care Setting
- Discharge Planning
- Weapons Against Mismanagement
- Legal Issues in Dementia Care
- Advance Care Planning
Week 12 – Applying your Learning in the Workplace
- Translating your learning into practice
All materials used are current and copyright approved. References within this course are hyperlinked and readily available via the resource library at all times.
To Register Your Interest In Participating In This Course
Register to participate in this course
I have my Enrolment Key and am ready to start
Enrol in Course