Fundamentals of Person Centred Care in Dementia
This 4-week clinician facilitated online course provides state wide training that applies a person centred approach in the recognition, management and support of the person living with dementia and is aimed at staff working in all settings. This course aims to provide an “essential” level of knowledge for all staff working with people living with dementia and aligns with the following National Safety and Quality Health Service Standards
- Standard 5: Comprehensive Care
- Standard 6: Communicating for Safety
Participants undertaking “Positive Approach to the Care of the Older Person with Dementia” course are not required to complete this module.
Please click the “Register to participate in this course” button located at the bottom of this page.
Once this is received you will be placed on our waiting list. When a spot is available you will be made an offer to participate, if you accept this offer then further information on the enrolment process will be sent to you.
Please Note: Our courses are unique in that they are fully facilitated by dementia champions. For the duration of the course you will have access to your facilitator
The purpose of this course is to assist you to develop an understanding and knowledge of the importance of working in a person centred way and inspire you to connect to the people in your care.
The aim of this online training is to increase your knowledge and understanding about:
- Dementia and delirium.
- The need for, the concept and the application of a person-centred approach in the care of people with dementia.
- Why dementia is emerging as a critical issue.
- Understanding the behavioural responses of people with dementia.
- Positive communication.
- Personal detractions and ‘positive person work’ in the care of people with dementia.
- The importance of understanding the needs of carers and other support people involved with the journey of the person with dementia.
- Community services that can help people affected by dementia.
- How to establish and employ community networks to assist people affected by dementia.
- Passion to improve patient outcomes
- Access to a computer with internet connection and an email account
- A minimum of 2-3 hours per week
- 4 week commitment
Online chats occur three times in the four weeks (Weeks 1, 2, and 4) to discuss current issues, network and share information and resources. You will be supported through the eLearning process by a facilitator who is a local dementia champion.
The course is broken up into 4 weeks:
Week 1: Navigating the course and Understanding Dementia
- Navigating the Course
- Understanding Dementia
- Types of Dementia
- Alzheimer’s Disease
- Vascular Dementia
- Frontotemporal Dementia
- Lew Body Dementia
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Younger Onset Dementia
Week 2: Cognitive Screen and Person Centred Care
- Cognitive Screening
- Person Centred Care
- Person Centred Care in Action
- Communicating Respectfully & Effectively
Week 3: Dementia, Depression & Delirium and Understanding Behaviour
- Dementia and Depression
- Dementia vs Delirium
- Understanding Behaviour
Week 4: Government Funded Services and Providing Support
- Government Funded Services
- Providing Support
All materials used are current and copyright approved. References within the course are hyperlinked and readily available via the resource library at all times.
To Register Your Interest In Participating In This Course
Register to participate in this course
I have my Enrolment Key and am ready to start
Enrol in Course