Positive Approach to the Care of the Aboriginal Person with Dementia
The Positive Approach to the Care of the Aboriginal Person with Dementia course takes a cooperative approach to improving the knowledge of those caring for Aboriginal people with dementia. This six week course takes a person centred approach and aims to assist clinicians in providing an understanding of the historical factors and lifestyle that impact those who identify with the Aboriginal community. It is intended to provide a bio-psycho-social model of dementia within Aboriginal populations.
This course attracts 12 CPD/CNE points.
Please Note: Our courses are unique in that they are fully facilitated by dementia champions, meaning you will have access to your facilitator for the duration of the course.
Please click the “Register to participate in this course” button located at the bottom of this page.
Once this is received you will be placed on our waiting list. When a spot is available you will be made an offer to participate, if you accept this offer then further information on the enrolment process will be sent to you.
The purpose of this online learning course is to train clinical staff to develop and improve the level of care being provided to the Aboriginal person with dementia. The program encourages a participant to apply knowledge in the workplace to ensure better outcomes for all those in their care.
The aim of this online course is to increase knowledge and understanding on:
- Historical and cultural effects on current Aboriginal Communities
- Factors that influence the social and emotional well-being on physical and mental health
- The impact of dementia in Aboriginal Communities
- The recognition and management of dementia and delirium
- How to interact efficiently and effectively with Aboriginal people living with dementia, their carers and their families
- Passion to improve outcomes for the Aboriginal person with dementia
- Access to computer and email account
- Access to Internet – approximately 2-3 hours per week
- 6 week commitment
Online chats occur three times in the six weeks (Weeks 1, 3 and 5) to discuss current issues, network and share information and resources. You will be supported through the eLearning process by a facilitator who is a local dementia champion.
The course is broken up into 6 weeks:
Week 1: Navigating the Course
- Acknowledgement to Country
- Navigating the Course
Week 2: Aboriginal History | Cultural Competence
- Aboriginal History
- How to be Culturally Aware and Responsive
Week 3: The Stolen Generation | Social Determinants
- The Stolen Generation
- Health Risk and Protective Factors
- Incidence and Prevalence of Dementia
Week 4: The Brain | Dementia | Delirium
- The Brain and Memory
- Dementia: What changes happen to your brain?
Week 5: Communication | Person Centred Care | Care Planning
- Person Centred Care
- Care Planning
- Engagement and Socialisation
Week 6: Behaviour | Lifestyle | Support
- Behaviour and Dementia
- Lifestyle and Risk Factors for Dementia
- Support and Partnership for the Person with Dementia and their Carers
To Register Your Interest In Participating In This Course
Register to participate in this course
I have my Enrolment Key and am ready to start
Enrol in Course