Behavioural and Psychological Symptoms of Dementia
This six week course assists clinicians to develop and improve the level of care being provided to those experiencing Behavioural and Psychological Symptoms of Dementia (BPSD). Participants are encouraged to apply their newfound knowledge in the workplace to ensure better outcomes for people with dementia. This course is suitable for all clinicians who are working within acute care, community settings or Residential Aged Care.
The web-based learning tool facilitates group discussion, sharing of information and resources, posting to forums and networking in a supportive environment.
Please Note: Our courses are unique in that they are fully facilitated by dementia champions, meaning you will have access to your facilitator for the duration of the course.
Please click the “Register to participate in this course” button located at the bottom of this page.
Once this is received you will be placed on our waiting list. When a spot is available you will be made an offer to participate, if you accept this offer then further information on the enrolment process will be sent to you.
The purpose of this online learning course is to support clinical staff to develop and improve the level of care being provided to those experiencing Behavioural and Psychological Symptoms of Dementia. The program encourages participants to apply the newfound knowledge in the workplace to ensure better outcomes for all those in their care.
On completion of the course you will be expected to apply the principles and concepts you have learnt. In addition you will need to use the resources you have been provided with; in particular the RAFAR and Behavioural Response Flow Chart (also known as A B C D E).
The aim of this course is for participants to be able to understand and recognise Behavioural and Psychological Symptoms of Dementia (BPSD).
On completion of this course participants will be able to:
- Recognise the symptoms of BPSD
- Identify the difference between BPSD
- Describe and understand the need for a Person-Centred Approach
- Define the model for understanding the behavioural responses of people with dementia
- Recognise and understand the importance of involving the family/significant other for the person with dementia
- Distinguish how practices and diverse settings might impact on caring for the person with dementia
- Understand different management strategies in BPSD in particular pharmaceutical, non pharmaceutical interventional strategies
Ultimately we hope you will learn how to Recognize / Analyze / First Aid / Respond. This is commonly known as the RAFAR (1)
- Passion to improve outcomes for the person with dementia
- Prior Completion of A Positive Approach to Care of the Older Person with Dementia – is desirable
- Access to Internet – approximately 2-3 hours per week
- 6 week commitment
Online chats occur three times in the six weeks (Weeks 2, 4 and 6) to discuss current issues, network and share information and resources. You will be supported through the eLearning process by a facilitator who is a local dementia champion.
The course is broken up into 6 weeks:
Week 1: Navigating the Course
Week 2: The Behavioural Symptoms in BPSD
- Let’s Get Started
- Behavioural Symptoms in BPSD
- Person Centred Care
Week 3: The Psychological Symptoms in BPSD
- The Psychological Symptoms in BPSD
Week 4: What does BPSD look like? Sexually Disinhibited Behaviours
- What does BPSD look like?
- The Experience of Dementia
- Sexually Disinhibited Behaviours in Dementia
Week 5: Non Pharmacological Management of BPSD
- Non Pharmacological Management of BPSD
- Key Components of a Management Plan
- Differential Diagnosis
Week 6: Pharmacological Management of BPSD
- Psychotropic Medications
- Drug Choice for Cognitive and Non-Cognitive Symptoms
- Anxiolytics and Hypnotics
- Antipsychotics (also known as Neuroleptics)
- Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome
- Pain in Relation to BPSD
To Register Your Interest In Participating In This Course
Register to participate in this course
I have my Enrolment Key and am ready to start
Enrol in Course